Pages

13.12.13

Clockenflap Weekend

Kowloon West Cultural District has been very busy hosting events these past few weekends, Clockenflap followed by Blohk Party and this coming weekend Freespace. As a location for a festival this place is superb, with one of the most famous skylines in the world as a backdrop to the main stage and a stunning view towards the outlying islands on the other side.


There weren't that many bands I was desperate to see playing beforehand, but this worked in my favour as I was introduced to some great music over the weekend, here were my highlights:

On Friday my favourite act was Omar Souleyman from Syria, complete with turban and sunglasses he played some funky arabian beats - I'd never heard anything quite like it before but it was so brilliant, I think it might have been my favourite act all weekend. I also enjoyed Four Tet's set at the end of the night.

On Saturday Chic with Nile Rodgers was the winner for me, the fact that this guy wrote/produced so many iconic songs is seriously mind-blowing. Chic - Le Freak, Sister Sledge - We are Family, Diana Ross - I'm Coming Out, and Daft Punk - Get Lucky, to name a few. I ended the night dancing to xxx showcase and finished with Modeselektor.

Mac DeMarco stole the show for me on Sunday, he played on the smaller 'your mum' stage. His performance was very relaxed and humorous, he even did a bit of crowd surfing. We ended the festival with a Sunday night rave with 2manydj's.

Mac DeMarco


The bearded lady tent always had something going on, from film showings to burlesque dancing. It was a more chilled out area, with plenty of rugs and cushions to relax on. You could even get a (real) tattoo done in here.

They had some interactive art shows going on too, a giant face which changed pattern according to your facial expressions, a 'light drawing' tent, a merry-go-round which operated using pedals and released bubbles as you went round.

Trippy Face

Due to work, Saturday night was the only night I could really do the 'after parties'. I crossed over the harbour waters to the True Skool Reggae night at Pier 7 cafe and bar. I don't actually think this had anything to do with Clockenflap, but dancing on a rooftop to dancehall reggae with the Hong Kong skyline in the background was a pretty great way to spend a post Clockenflap Saturday night.


Festival Lanterns





No comments:

Post a Comment